Wednesday 9 September 2009

Llanrwst

There’s nothing like an event to motivate you even if you’re not competing.

I’ve been putting off increasing my run distance for no other reason than I’m a whimp. Saturday was a case of bite the bullet or I’d never be ready for the 10k.. Decided to do the 5 miler that used to kill me. Lots of options and excuses to cut back early. Once I started not finishing was not an option. It wasn’t easy but really can’t understand why I used to struggle.

Sunday was Llanrwst. I was on marshal duty on the railway crossing in the morning with a lovely Carneddau Tri Club member called Harri. We had such a good laugh and it was great to see the huge difference in speed and talent

It was a bit of a rush to T2 to time the finish from 11:15 onwards. I love marshalling but this has got to be my favourite task to date. It was extremely exciting to be able to shout so many familiar faces home.

Andy Campbell from Wrecsam Tri won overall with Adrian Leonard second. Rhian Roxburgh was third beating her husband Simon by a second.

I had a chat with the partner of one of the Wrecsam Tri guys. She’d done the Llyn Brennig 10 miler the day before. Her confession was the longest she’d ever run before was 10k and we both came to the conclusion the mind is often what holds us back, rather than the body.

I have always said I CAN’T do speed work. On Monday I tentatively dipped my toe in. OK I ran round the football pitch and added some quick goal lines with the touchline as recovery. For me that’s a big step in the right direction.

Discussing my Offa’s Dyke plans with my brother he said he’d always wanted to climb Snowdon. We’re doing it with the kids October half term.

Weight wise there was a whole week’s menus in the Slimming World magazine with a shopping list. I used it for my Tesco shop. Sticking religiously to their meals is not practical but having the healthy ingredients as staple store cupboard items has allowed me to plan much better. I was quite disappointed with only a 1 ½ pound loss but it’s a step in the right direction.

I felt rather proud and smug too when talking to so many people at Llanrwst who confessed they had yet to do an event. In a perverse kind of way I’m also quite proud that my “longest ever” course record remains intact.

Big, big thanks to Rhian, Simon & Emyr for a fabulous well organised event. Next year the aim is to comete and marshal. Look out Mrs Roxburgh you have competition

1 comment:

Rhian said...

Thanks Lynne - I will look forward to that!! So COnwy Half next though yeah?