Sunday 22 March 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Humour me on this one…please!

Swim - intransitive verb to move or propel yourself unsupported through water using natural means of propulsion such as legs, tails or fins.

Well I can do that! The fact that I haven’t this week is neither here nor there. I need this coaching and it’s very difficult to co-ordinate the coaches shifts with my kid’s arrangements. Getting a bit drastic. Think I might need a Plan B.


Bicycle – a vehicle with two wheels and a seat that is moved by pushing pedals with the feet, and steered by handlebars at the front wheel.

I can do that too. Had a fabulous ride out on Sunday. Only an hour. Great weather. Was about half an hour later going out than usual and the difference the volume of traffic was unbelievable. Did an out and back and was expecting an easy return but the wind had different ideas. Road felt a bit bumpy so felt maybe I should get my tyre pressure checked. Left the bike out for husband to do the doings and took the kids to watch the penultimate Borders race in Deeside. It’s a club road run series over the winter which I will do next year. Got home and husband was out and so was my bike. I was absolutely furious. As you do…. I hid it behind the shed and when husband returned he had the tongue lashing of his life. He still did my tyres. There was um… 25 (pounds per inch??!! ) Needless to say when they were fully inflated on Tuesday I flew up the hills and took a full 2 minutes off my PB.

Run – intransitive verb to move rapidly on foot so that both feet are momentarily off the ground in each step

Jog – intransitive verb to run at a slow steady pace

Shuffle –intransitive verb to walk slowly without picking up the feet

Walk – intransitive verb to move or travel on legs and feet, alternately putting one foot a comfortable distance in front of, or sometimes behind, the other, and usually proceeding at a moderate pace. When walking as opposed to running, one of the feet is always in contact with the ground, the one being put down as or before the other is lifted.


I’ve done lots of moving or travelling on legs and feet over the winter. I guess I’ve progressed from finding 20 minutes hard to doing 80 without much of a problem and still having a bit left in the tank.

On Monday I got to the end of the road and struggled. It’s only recently that I’ve got over this but I’ve known for ages that once I’d done 5 minutes or so I’d be fine, but Monday was different my legs felt like lead and I was back to the Darth Vader breathing. I did half an hour but didn’t feel good. I had a similar “runner’s block” problem last year and Transition Ted came to the rescue “Was it because I couldn’t run or couldn’t be @rsed to run?” Changed the route and duration and soon got over it. Hope that works this year.

It was really great to get out with Sue on Wednesday and yup I did the 5 miles or so, without walking but it took a good 70 minutes (I’ve done it in 60)

Yesterday I opted for the short 5k and it took me 43 minutes. I’ve done it in well under 40. The epiphany I had was though because it was sunny I could see my shadow and I became very aware that I am definitely not running. My pathetic effort would give jogging a bad name. Ok I’m not walking but shuffling doesn’t fit the description either. I’m PMSFFTAW (Propelling My Self Forward Faster Than A Walk.

Theoretically, I guess I should be mortified and depressed with this revelation. Its just made me more determined to reach for and achieve the Hilary Swank on the beach style (remember I said humour me!)

I had one of my wonderful massages yesterday. Whole back, shoulders, legs the lot. For me it’s not just a massage it’s a full therapy session as Tracey is not only a fantastic listener she makes me tell her the answers that I knew already but wasn’t prepared to admit to. She said my new trainers could be the running problem, knowing I’m going to get blisters and my feet will hurt may be making me subconsciously not be prepared to push. I’ll go back to my old ones tomorrow and could well be screaming for advice in the next day or two.

Had a school reunion on Friday. It was absolutely fantastic. Had a bit of vino (maybe that’s why I was pants yesterday?)

The battery’s gone in the scales and I think I’m going to leave it out.

Don’t know why but I have the need to share this info with you lovely people. My big kids have got friends who are sisters. They have literally all been friends since nursery. On Tuesday their Dad hung himself. I cannot imagine how bad things must have got for him to this. The devastation it has caused to two of the nicest kids I have ever met is unforgivable.


I’ve had a fantastic Mother’s day so far – Morgan made his first Mother’s Day card in playgroup. I bought a TT cycling top in the Planet X sale (a tenner – can you believe it?) which husband is paying for off Morgan and the big kids have bought me another top and Tri suit. Flowers and breakfast in bed.

No comments: