Sunday 23 February 2014

Run Fat B!tch Run


Dry January massive fail.

Jantastic 2 runs in 2 months – massive fail.

Now I’m a firm believer in fate. Things happen for a reason and people come into your life at exactly the right time so…
For reasons I’d rather not go into here but you can all draw your own conclusions which will probably be right, on Friday I made the commitment to give up alcohol. As part of my coping mechanism I planned to really start running “consistently” again. I posted this picture on Face Book.



I received a reply from one of my friends in The Biggest Loser group (who has lost an enormous amount of weight) “Excuse the title but this book really helped me.”



Never one to shy away from the next greatest thing it was downloaded to my Kindle (£2.99) and I started to devour. It could have been written specifically for me:-

“Can you hear a nagging little voice, like a mosquito buzzing around your head? ‘loser, I knew you wouldn’t do it. I knew you would give up. No one is going to believe a word you say if you can’t stick to a small promise.'”

“So if I’m going to do it I find that calling myself nasty names is far more motivating and it has the added benefit of really making me laugh.”

“Negative affirmations are not for the faint hearted or psychologically fragile. If you are the kind of person who falls apart when criticised, this is not for you.”

“Spectacular results are only achieved by spectacular effort.”

“Stop feeling depressed about being fat and start doing something about it. Go outside and start walking.”

“Nothing in this life of any value is gained without pain and sacrifice.”

The basics are stop procrastinating. Stop wasting hours with lists and plans and get out and do. I missed my run yesterday reading the damn book which is a bit ironic.

For beginners (which of course I’m not) is to walk 90 minutes 4 times a week. Building up to add in some jogging so that within 8 weeks the whole circuit can be completed in 45 minutes. It builds to a 5k race plan, a 10K, a half and a full marathon.
Before I know it I’ve convinced myself Chester Marathon on 5th October is doable.

I’ve just been out and “run” 5k. First 5K since September and only the 6th “run” since September. I “ “ the run because 51 minutes is hardly more than a shuffle pace however, it’s my base and can only improve.

If I hadn’t spent so much time procrastinating (music choice, wardrobe malfunction, loss of satellite on my Garmin, chest strap inside out) I might have avoided the headwind.

Another reason this is going to work this time is, I’m on annual leave this week so no time excuses. Once I get out there and "do" I love it, habit is established and I'm on fire - no burn outs this time though.

I’m not abandoning triathlon. I’ve dusted the cobwebs off my track pump, inflated the tyres on my road bike and am all set to get out there tomorrow (please wind die down – I can’t face the turbo!)

And now for the really exciting news……

Drum roll if you please!

Nest Saturday I am taking Welsh Triathlon’s Local Technical Official’s course. I am shadowing at LLangefni in March, Chirk in April, Wilmslow in May and then I will be (“hopefully” banished from the dictionary) a fully qualified Triathlon pool based referee.

No comments: